Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Pullover Sweater for Babies

Easy Print PDF:
Pullover 6-9Months


edited January 2009: I have recently taken measurements of this sweater and compared to baby size charts and this sweater is larger than I thought, the new size is 6-9 months not newborn if made with a G hook and Simply Soft yarn.
Here are the measurements of my sweater:
Neckline: 12"
Chest: 19" measured under arm
Sleeves: 4" from under arm to wrist. Sleeves SHOULD be 5" so add 2 rows to length.

Gauge of my sweater is 4 stitches=1 inch and 2 rows= 1 inch.




Simply Soft yarn size G7 hook
Size: 6-9 Months (edited 1/28/09)

Chain 42
Row 1:
dc in 4th ch from hook & in next 4 chs,
dc, ch 1, dc in next ch,
dc in next 6 chs,
dc, ch 1, dc in next ch,
dc in next 12 chs,
dc, ch 1, dc in next ch,
dc in next 6 chs,
dc, ch1, dc in next ch,
dc in last 6 chs.

Rows 2-7:
ch 2, turn, dc in each dc across, (dc, ch 1, dc) in each ch 1 space.

Row 8:
ch 2, turn, dc in each st to ch 1 sp,dc in sp, ch 6,
dc in next sp and dc across to next ch 1 sp,
dc in sp, ch 6, dc in next sp and dc across to end.
Join to ch 2.
Click here to see pictures of how to make armholes (row 8)

Rows 9-18: ch 2, turn, dc in each dc around, join.

Row 19: ch 1, sc around.
Finish off.

Sleeves:
Attach yarn at middle st of underarm,

Row 1: ch 2, dc in each st around. join.

Rows 2-8: ch 2, dc in each dc around. Join.

Row 9:
ch 1, sc around. join, finish off.

Back and Neck trim:
Join yarn in the back opening on the left side,
Ch 1, sc up the side, 3sc in corner st,
sc across neckline, 3sc in corner st,
sc down right side, placing 2 buttonholes evenly spaced.
finish off.

2007 Kelly Kearney
If you make one as a gift, please consider making one for charity.
Do not sell pattern or items made from pattern.
Do not post pattern on another site, please post just the link.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sweater looks really cute. About what size baby would it fit? Newborn only?

Kelly said...

Yes it is a newborn size, but if you used a larger hook you could get a bigger size.

Jen said...

I wanted to let you know that I used your pattern to make a matching sweater for the sock monkey set in the Happy Hooker book :-) You can see it here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/59387289/

~ Jen :)

Jen said...

I wouldn't mind if you wanted to post the picture :-)

Minivanmomma said...

Hi I made the sleeveless version for my daughter. I posted a picture of it on my site. Thank you so much for your patterns this was really fun to make her.

Anonymous said...

I have made so many of these sweaters, i Have lost count. I love it as I can make one in an evening(about 2 1/2-3hours) I ahve also used several different yarns as well. In the summer I use cotton(jeannee) the yarn is wonderful it feels great in my hands and the end result is wonderful.
I enjoy it so much that I modified the pattern in my size. Every time I wear it everyone wants me to make them one.

crazycrochetmom said...

I just wanted to say that I made your Kelly Sweater for a baby Shower gift and it turned out great I will send you picture before I wrap it up and just so you know I made the sweater for a good cause because the girl I made it for is low income and she is going to be a single mother so she is going to need all the help she can get and thankyou so much for sharing your great patterns also they are for a great cause :)

Kelly said...

I can't wait to see the pics! I'm glad you enjoy using the pattern.

hugs,
Kelly

Jules said...

Hoping that someone can help me with this. I am making the pullover sweater, and I am stumped on the directions regarding the chain 6 that connects the armhole. Do I dbl. crochet in these chains as stated in row 9 which says to dbl. crochet in each dbl.crochet. Perhaps I am missing a step in row 8. It seems that the armholes are too big if I dbl. crochet these stitches. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I just made this..first time making a sweater. It turned out nice. I plan on making more in different sizes and yarns. It's so easy!

Anonymous said...

Jules,

If you look at the link she provided on making the armholes this may help. I was stumped too until I read it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the pattern. I made one for my 2 years old granddaughter by using a larger needle and a slight increase in chain stitches (59). What a wonderful idea...I plan on making more to donate...we get snow here in the mountains of Northern California.

Anonymous said...

Where do you get your buttons? I am on Long Island, also, but find it very hard to find nice buttons. (I knit for a charity in Denver called Warm Woolies that sends to orphans in China and Mongolia). Any tips welcome! -Ruth (ramblinroo@aol.com)

Christa said...

Hi! It's the first time I've tried this pattern, and I'm a little confused. Has it been edited recently? If I chain 42 and then start dc on the 4th chain, I end up with 3 chains too few at the end of the row...the math isn't adding up, unless I'm doing the dc, c1, dc part wrong. Any ideas? Thanks!

Kelly said...

Hi Christa, the pattern is correct, I'm not sure what you are doing wrong.

Christa said...

Okay, I've figured it out. I was getting confused on the dc-c1-dc, but now I understand how it works. Thanks for the great patterns! :)

phone search said...

Reall nice - thanks for the instructions.

Valerie said...

I love this pattern! I have a question about sleeves...when I start the dc under the arm, do I start on the wrong side or the right side?

Kelly said...

On the right side.

Naomi Skeat said...

Just found this pattern today it is fantastic thank you. I am making beanies and tops to go to the "fish and chip" babies in Africa.