Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Spring dress for American Girl Dolls


Red Heart Soft Baby Yarn (fizzy print) Size F hook


Ch 36


row 1: dc in 4th ch from hook and in next 4 chs, 3dc in next ch, dc in next 5 chs, 3dc in next ch, dc in next 10, 3dc in next ch, dc in next 5, 3dc in next ch, dc in last 5 chs. Ch 2, turn.


rows 2-5: dc in each dc, placing 3dc in center st of each 3dc group. Ch 2, turn.


row 6: (armholes) dc across to center st of 3dc group, ch 4, dc in next 3dc group, dc across to next center st, ch 4, dc in next center st, dc across to end. Ch 2, turn.
Click here to see pictures of how to form armholes (row 6).


row 7: dc across row. Ch2, turn.


row 8: (2 dc in next st, 1dc in next) repeat across. Join. Ch2 turn.


row 9-22: dc around, join.


row 23: ch 4, dc in same st. (skip 1 st, dc-ch1-dc in next st) around. join in 3 ch of ch4.


row 24: sl st to ch1 space, ch2-dc-ch1-2dc in space. (2dc,ch1,2dc) in each ch1 space around. Join.


row 25: Ch 1, sc in each dc & ch 1 sp around. Join, finish off.


Neck Trim:

Join yarn to bottom left back, ch1, sc up left side, 3sc in corner, sc around neckline, 3 sc in corner, sc-ch 3-sc in first st (buttonhole made), sc down right side, finish off.


Please feel free to make one for your favorite little girl but do not sell dresses made from this pattern :)



2007 Bella Bambina

13 comments:

Secret said...

I just made this dress for my daughter's Am Girl doll. I'm so pleased with how it turned out! your pattern is great. thanks for making it avialable to all. MaryZ

Kate@JillyLane said...

I made two of these this week -- one for a Molly American Girl, and one for a smaller baby doll. Your pattern worked up beautifully, and was easy to modify for the baby doll my 2-year old picked up at a yard sale and named Suzie. I used some microspun, from the stash, an F hook and a couple of cute buttons to decorate the front. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'm working on your dress pattern for my two nieces as birthday presents. They're both into American Girl and fashion and I thought this was just the cutest thing I've ever seen. Thank you so much for sharing your design, we the frugal but crafty thank you for your kindness

Sandy Perez said...

I am making the dress for my grand-daughters 8 and 10 years old. They have asked for a few amendments though. Leave the back of the dress open to be closed with velcro. They don't like to pull the dress on and off over the dolls head -- and they don't like those tiny doll buttons and button holes. And of course, there is the ever present - decorate it grandma -- ruffles and such.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this wonderful pattern. I am a beginner, but was able to make the dress with little difficulty. I also made a jacket for the dress by making the bodice with a larger hook. I added the ruffle from the skirt to the bottom of the jacket, and used ribbon through the waist and a button on top to close it. They are both adorable.

Kalisha said...

This pattern came out so beautifully! Thanks so much for sharing--I made one dress already with another one to go. I am so glad I found this pattern and your blog--this is the perfect birthday gift for her!

You can see a pic of my dress here:
http://mommylounge.wordpress.com/kalishas-page/

Anonymous said...

How many skeins of yarn does this
dress take. I would like to make it but not sure how much yarn to buy.

Kelly said...

It uses less than one skein of the yarn called for, actually you could probably make a few out of one skein.

Anonymous said...

on rows 9-22, i am getting a space between dc's at the joining... the space is running all the way down the back of the dress... am i doing something wrong???

Kelly said...

I'm sorry but I really don't know.
Are you joining to the top of the ch 2 at the end of each row? Then you dc in the next stitch.

Anonymous said...

i see, i made a ch 3 (1st dc) then dc'd in each stitch. then ss in the top ch of ch 3 at the beginning... so each row 9-22 are ch2 at the begining but no turn right???

Kelly said...

Right. When you chain 2 instead of 3 it stays straight. I learned that little trick from a slipper pattern.

Anonymous said...

do i have to sew it up at all?